In the Acknowledgements section of the Newbery award-winning The Graveyard Book, Neil Gaimon writes:
First, foremost, and forever: I owe an enormous debt, conscious and, I have no doubt, unconscious, to Rudyard Kipling and the two volumes of his remarkable work The Jungle Book. I read them as a child, excited and impressed, and I’ve read and reread them many times since. If you are only familiar with the Disney cartoon, you should read the stories.
And we will read those stories in time to see the movie being released in theaters this April. What about the Gaimon’s modern story inspired by those classics? We began with a read aloud this morning during Book Club and everyone listening was hooked.
Please find a copy of both The Graveyard Book and The Jungle Book* from your local library or preferred bookseller as soon as you can.
* Because The Jungle Book is a classic originally published in 1894 and a second book in 1895, there are many possible editions: Unabridged or abridged, illustrated or not, hardcopy or digital, print or ebook, containing both books or just one. I would encourage you to find one you think best fits your learning style and reading level. If you want assistance, please contact Ms. Andria at 325-0203×128 or email@example.com. The edition that I will be using (see review below) was chosen simply because it was there, but, again, please choose one that feels right to you.
Presents the three adventures of Mowgli, a young boy raised by the animals in an Indian jungle, as well as other animal stories and songs. Includes discussion questions and explanatory notes.
From the Publisher
- Publisher: Sterling
- Publication Date: November 1, 2007
- Format: Hardcover
- Dewey: -Fic-
- Classifications: Fiction
- Description: vi, 343 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
- ISBN-10: 1-40274-340-8
- ISBN-13: 978-1-40274-340-5
- LCCN: 2007-011251
- Follett Number: 17653U8
- Catalog Number: 1402743408
- Interest Level: 5-8
- Reading Level: 5.8
- ATOS Book Level: 7.4
- AR Interest Level: MG
- AR Points: 20
- AR Quiz: 20237EN
- Lexile Measure: 1100
- Lexile Code: NC (Non-Conforming Text)
- Included in these sets & series:
- Sterling Unabridged Classics