Today is our official first day for nonfiction. Whether you are reading “Revenge of the Whale” or chose your own book, do a little background research about your subject. Below are some recommended links about whaling. Let me know if you need research assistance if you chose another topic.
- “In the Heart of the Sea” Official Movie Page: http://www.intheheartoftheseamovie.com/ (We’ll have a Book Club reunion when it’s released in December 2015.)
- PBS’s Timeline: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/timeline/timeline-whaling/
- National Geographic’s History: http://education.nationalgeographic.com/education/news/big-fish-history-whaling/?ar_a=1
- Smithsonian’s Uses of Whale Products: http://amhistory.si.edu/onthewater/exhibition/3_7.html
- Providence Library’s Scrimsaw Collection: http://www.provlib.org/node/390
- National Geographic’s Whaling Shipwreck Discovered: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/02/110211-two-brothers-whaling-ship-pollard-science-nantucket-noaa/
- Wikipedia’s Modern Whaling Controversy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_controversy (Beware of wiki graffiti! This can be a hot topic!)